Kids are going back to school and getting back into a routine. Holidays are just around the corner and that means baking and sweets and pumpkin spice everything and big fluffy sweaters! But what if this year you make a choice to get healthy BEFORE the holidays instead of AFTER?
For too many years I have personally struggled with my weight (just look through the posts on this blog and you will see). I keep saying “I’ll do it tomorrow.” I have been successful many times. But I have also gained the weight back every time and then some. As I type this post, on August 11, 2019, I am at my highest weight of 238.6 and wearing a tight size 18W (I should probably be in 20W but refuse to buy any)! What I have learned over the years is that I am most successful if I have a community and some accountability. This is why I am going to start my own Whole30 Fall Reboot group starting September 1st. I will attempt to post each day of my journey so I can support you on yours.
If you’re asking yourself why you should follow a girl on Whole30 who is nearly 240 pounds, let me ask you, why not? I am not perfect (who is?). I am not skinny (never have been)! I have successfully completed 2 FULL Whole30 rounds in the last 5 years by following the protocol exactly as it is laid out on their website. Also, I’m a nerd and I love to do research and I can spew out the science of dieting faster than you can slurp your spaghetti noodles! 😂
So here we are at Whole30 Eve and I want to write down for myself (and anyone else who is just crazy enough to read this), all of the things I am feeling right now that has led me to want to start over. So here goes . . .
- After having a total knee replacement last November, now my right hip is in horrible pain. I limp when I get out of a car or get up from sitting a while, not because my knee hurts anymore (I’ve forgotten what that pain felt like already!), but because my hip is so painful that I have trouble walking normal for at least the first 10-15 steps!
- I have to hold my breath to tie my shoes. My stomach has gotten so big that it is hard to even reach that far.
- Speaking of feet, my ankles look like tree trunks. In fact, the entire time I was in Dallas last week for a conference for my business, my ankles and even feet were so swollen that I had pain with every step. There were lots of steps!
- My migraines are becoming a daily occurrence and I have considered buying stock in Tylenol due to my addiction to Tylenol migraine medicine. One such migraine caused me to have to go to bed one night last week at 8:00 PM! How much of a grandma am I? (Next thing you know I’ll be eating dinner at 4PM!)
- Alcohol has become a crutch and I don’t like succumbing to crutches. When the first sign of kids yelling or making a mess triggers me to reach for the wine, I know I’ve got a problem. As much as we joke about it in the mommy circles and special needs community, I don’t like feeling that I NEED a glass of wine to calm me down.
- I’m just plain exhausted ALL. THE. TIME. So much so that I am taking naps in the afternoon and even having trouble with keeping my eyes open on long drives (so dangerous!)
- I have trouble focusing on anything. Not even to finish a book. I have so many unfinished tasks, I feel like one of my 5th grade students with ADHD! (It drove me bananas trying to hunt down assignments at the end of the term back when I taught!)
So there you have it. I’m a mess. I want to be the best version of myself. Not just for now, or for the holidays, or my brother’s wedding coming up this fall. But for my life. I want to live life to its fullest. I am only 45 years old and I HOPE this is not my midlife yet! Want to join me on my journey? Comment below to tell me what resonated with you. Come join me on my Facebook group which we’ll start September 1st to support others on the journey with us!